Sunday, September 19, 2010

Secret little towns

I guess its not really a secret town, but i had never been there, nor heard of it. Perhaps I should update my knowledge on the small towns in Ontario. A few weeks ago I was traveling to northern Ontario with a brand new friend (we met the evening before) to take part in a CUI course. Both of us work for the Tim Horton Children's Foundation, but Cory works at one of the camps in ontario. anyways, during our 4 hour drive to Muskoka Woods, I began to realize I was no longer in Nova Scotia.

We were getting more and more north, and the senery changed from busy Toronto rush hour, to green trees and rock along the side of the road. Now, Cory loves to talk, and had some of the most interesting stories i've ever heard, but for a moment, the car was silent. no radio, no talking, just silence. I had the opportunity to just think, and enjoy where i was. I remember turning to Cory and saying "this place is beautiful". he gave me a funny look, as if i was joking or something. previously we had been discussing some of our travels, and sharing stories. he was telling me how he had spent some time in nova scotia a few years ago, and i think he knew more about the province than i do! I guess i don't take the opportunity to appreciate my home - and apparently he didn't either. he asked me to explain my thoughts on this "beautiful" highway. really, there wasn't much around. just some big rocks, and tall trees. but i thought they were beautiful. just as i was trying to explain how i thought the rocks looked cool, all different colors, and so big, my jaw dropped. Cory looked at me confused. Ahead of me was the coolest thing i'd seen in a while! there was an overpass we were about to go under, and on either side of us there was a giant rock! it looked just like all the other ones, but it was as if the centre of it was cut out for the highway, and they left either side of the rock there. the sides were so flat. now, knowing me i wish i was ready for it so i could have taken a picture, but i wasn't. my camera was all put away in the back. so, i told Cory that we would have to stop on our way back at the end of the course. He laughed slightly, thinking i was crazy, but said sure thing! I proceeded to think about this rock all week, and told everyone about it. I'm sure they now all think I'm the crazy girl from Nova Scotia, and apparently they don't have rocks in Nova Scotia either...

Well... here's my rock. we couldn't stop because it kinda snuck up on us, and there were lots of cars around. but i was ready this time - camera in hand. and was able to get a picture out of the back window of the van. I doubt anyone else will enjoy it as much as i do!


As we continued driving, we found our exit and proceeded to find out destination. we were a bit ahead of schedule, but wanted to find Muskoka Woods, as we were in the middle of nowhere and weren't sure if our directions were right. We had to pass through a small town called Rosseau in order to get to Muskoka. Muskoka Woods was just another 2 or 3 minutes down the road, so once we found it, we decided to turn around and go check out the town. we thought it would be a good idea to park and go walk around, so we did. there as a building across the street, which was a library, town hall and fire station.



We walked over to the building, and saw some people standing outside. they were so friendly, and as we walked by they all said hello in a cheery voice, and a big smile on their face. we were clearly from out of town, and they were curious as to what we were doing. we got to talking, and one of the ladies just got back from a vacation in Nova Scotia. she was visiting her sister, who happens to live on my street!! how ironic is that! As well, Cory and i had just been talking about my trip to Tanzania, and how i want to go to South Africa. these ladies were a group of grandmothers who were having a lunch to listen to some ladies who went to South Africa to work with another Grandmothers group, who take care of all the small children in their community. it sounded so interesting! but we didnt have time to stay and listen. we did help them cary in all of their stuff and set some things up! they were so grateful! it was really cute. 

we continued to walk around the block, and check some things out. heres what we found. 














We also came across a general store. when we went in and commented on how they had everything, they said "yup! if we don't have it, you don't need it!" this was painted on the side of the old school general store.



When we got back into the car, Cory was saying how Rosseau reminded him of some places in Nova Scotia. I kind of turned my head, then again, was reminded of the fact that I haven't spent enough time exploring around here. perhaps that will be my next adventure. eventually we had to end our exploring around Rosseau, and continue down to Muskoka Woods for our CUI course. 


No comments:

Post a Comment