Monday, September 27, 2010

125

One hundred twenty five days.

I have been living in Tatamagouche for 125 days! thats insane! 4 months Saturday i arrived at the Halifax International Airport, from Zurich, Switzerland, after my adventure in Tanzania and Switzerland. 4 months ago yesterday, I arrived here at the Tim Horton Children's Camp in Tatamagouche.

It doesn't feel like it has been that long at all, but looking back, so much has happened. I've met more than 1000 kids from all over, I've made some new friends and saw some old ones, I've learned a whole lot, and so much more.

People ask me all the time "so what's it like living in Tatamagouche?" and all I can really say is "it's good". I mean, I don't really get out much. I live at camp. And, usually, I don't have a car, so its not like I can go anywhere anyways! But yesterday, my group left after lunch, and everyone else was gone, so I was here by myself. Wasn't too sure what to do with myself! Mom and Dad are on the other side of the world right now, so I have their car for a little bit, so i decided to head into Tata to see what was going on. I ended up at the grocery store, bought some fruit and some chicken, and came right back to camp. There isn't really much to do here I guess. Nobody was even at camp. Rachael and Jo were both off, so they weren't at camp. I wasn't hungry to eat the chicken I got. So I just sat for a few minutes, then decided to go and enjoy the alone time, and go explore camp without any campers. I grabbed Jo's macro lens and decided to go for a walk and see what I could find.

Camp is weird when nobody is here. It's quiet, and calm, and almost scary. I was in tata pines (small wooded area next the a field), taking some pictures, then just for a second, i put my camera down to enjoy the silence, and a HUGE bird flew out of a tree above my head! I don't really know my birds, but it looked like an owl or something! it was a rich, chocolate brown, and the sound of its wings scared me half to death! before i could get my camera back up to get a picture, it was gone. so i walked in the direction it went, but lost it so i continued taking pictures. i started to hear some crows making noise, and it went on for at least 5 minutes, so i walked in that direction to see what was going on. there must have been 15 of them, just screaming at each other. i wonder what they were talking about! as i got close to them, they all took off in the same direction. they must have been hunting or something. i kept walking, and stopped to snap a shot of the reflection of a tree in the mud puddle i was about to walk through, when that owl like bird flew out from a tree. again, i didn't get a picture, but got a better look at it. it was so cool! i tried to follow it, but it hid itself in the trees, and was nowhere to be found!

So, 125 days in Tatamagouche, and I have had very few days to be bored, or not sure what to do with myself. I guess theres always something to do. Keeping busy with work, exploring, or doing crafts! It's not bad here. Just 68 days left... not that i'm counting. WOW! just 2 more months! now that sounds crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment